Monday, February 22, 2016

Why The Chickadee is My Favorite

    

     I started noticing a trend when I realized that most of the birds I've drawn have been chickadees, and wondering why I like them so much. Maybe it's because they don't squawk and screech like magpies and crows... They don't attack and kill like vultures and eagles. They're not really all that majestic or graceful- not even really what comes to mind when you think about flight. You rarely see them soaring, or gliding, or playing on the breeze. They dart around so fast you hardly even see their wings at all. So what's so neat about chickadees? I think it's that they seem to be so diligently intent on what they're busy doing. I like that they mind their own business and do it well. They don't go around causing problems for everybody else, or demanding attention, or being showy about it. (These are all things I aspire to). They're content and the energy of their movements seems to exude enthusiasm. Maybe I like them because they're black and white, like how I prefer to see things. Or because they aren't virtuoso singers, but they can carry a tune, and it sounds happy. In any case, here's a sketch of one of the little darlings.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment